SUSTAINABLE & ECO-FRIENDLY
Reducing our impact with Tiny SMART Houses
Our goal is to decrease our company's carbon footprint while also helping people reduce their own energy demands and consumption, waste, and cost of living.
Residential and commercial buildings in the United States account for nearly 40% of carbon emissions and 14% of potable water usage. Construction also generates tens of millions of tons of landfill waste annually. Tiny houses in general have a much smaller effect on the environment as they require much less energy to maintain, construct, and heat/cool. The community around tiny houses is also one that understands the need to reduce negative impact where possible, as well as increase positive impact. We incorporate this mindset into many of our designs.
At Tiny SMART House we strive for responsible construction practices. From our concern about materials used to safety on the job site, our team is constantly alert and flexible. Much of our "waste" is re-used for other projects, such as blocking gleaned from stud cut-off's. Cardboard and packaging is repurposed to protect finish work.
Financially, the benefits of a tiny house tend to be a major driver of one’s decision to purchase a tiny house. Many of our clients come to us and tell us that they are tired of pouring money into the large homes that they never use and would much prefer to have their essential needs in a smaller, but functional space. Our homes are spacious, with efficient floor plans. If you would like to learn more about our practices please contact us.
Tiny SMART House - CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
* We use non-toxic materials whenever possible, avoiding hazardous chemicals like formaldehyde that have been proven to be harmful, but still creep their way into materials in many homes all over the country.
* We are very careful when selecting our stains, paints, glues, and other potentially hazardous materials to make sure that they do not give off odors or fumes that could be harmful to the atmosphere, our co-workers, or anyone living in the tiny home.
* Using high quality reclaimed building materials when available in certain areas of tiny house construction often helps owners save money, and is also an earth-friendly way to reuse materials and reduce waste.
* Selecting energy efficient windows and doors helps decrease heating and cooling costs. Enjoying the outdoors is important to many of us, even from the comfort of your tiny house couch. Our designs incorporate many windows, skylights, and doors with windows in them, so that we can capitalize on the natural light and reducing the need for electric lighting in the Tiny SMART House. And by using high-quality windows, we ensure that your home will be more efficient in heating and cooling.
* Even though the floor, walls, and ceiling on an RV is only required to have R-5 insulation, our standard insulated options rate from R-13 to R-21 for the walls, and from R-13 to R-38 for the floor and ceiling, depending on the type of insulation you choose. Better insulation means lower heating/cooling expense and fossil fuel use, which is as great for your pocketbook as it is for the planet. We suggest our premium nontoxic spray foam insulation that gives your tiny house a much higher R value in a smaller space, increasing energy efficiency, and comfort levels in your tiny house. It also helps provide sound insulation, and adds signifcant strength to the structure of your tiny house. It is certainly the most durable insulation choice, and helps reduce your energy loss and overall consumption.
* Another great choice to save energy and utility costs for homeowners is selecting LED lighting. The life of LED bulbs is many times that of a regular compact fluorescent bulb and the amount of energy required by LEDs also means that they also cost much less to run and need to be replaced far less frequently.
* Composting toilets can be installed in your Tiny SMART House, however we also install RV toilets. In recent years, the market has been flooded with a wide array of composting toilets and it's now easy to make responsible decisions that impact your life in a positive way. Composting toilets are often installed over the flange and plumbing in case you add an RV toilet later. This option helps with the resale value of your tiny house.
* A variety of energy options are available for each client to select what will work with their lives and the placement of their Tiny SMART House. Of course traditional shore power electic and water hookups are standard and many tiny houses use propane for appliances or heating. Solar off-grid options are available.